Closing Labor Day Weekend Graded Stakes at Saratoga and Del Mar
A big weekend of racing as summer comes to a close. The Labor Day holiday weekend features 11 graded stakes races at Saratoga and Del Mar, as both tracks complete their summer racing schedule. Included is the Spinaway Stakes, which anchors the NBC Sports Breeders’ Cup Challenge Series broadcast at Saratoga. The Spinaway is a Breeders’ Cup ‘Win and You’re In’ Challenge Series race.
The headliners on the stakes schedule Saturday at Saratoga include:
- $750,000 Woodward Stakes – Grade I for 3-year-olds and up going 1 1/8 miles.
- $350,000 Spinaway Stakes – Grade I for 2-year-old fillies going 7 furlongs
- $300,000 Saranac Stakes – Grade III for 3-year-olds going 1 1/8 miles on the turf
- $200,000 Glens Falls Handicap – Grade III for 3-yr-olds & up going 1 3/8 miles on the turf
The Del Mar Saturday featured stakes include:
- $300,000 Del Mar Debutante – Grade I for 2-year-old fillies going 7 furlongs
- $200,000 John C. Maybee – Grade II for 3YO&Up fillies & mares going 1 1/8 miles on the turf
Sunday, Sept. 3 is the $250,000 Del Mar Derby (G2), a 1 1/8 mile race for 3-year-olds on the turf.
Monday, Sept. 4 closing day at Saratoga features the $350,000 Hopeful Stakes (G1) for 2-year-olds racing 7 furlongs on the turf.
Del Mar concludes its program on Monday with the $300,000 Del Mar Futurity (G1) with 2-year-olds also racing 7 furlongs on the turf.
Saturday’s Del Mar Debutante is loaded with fine fillies, many who made their debut at Del Mar. The top five contenders include: Spectator (5-1), Just a Smidge (3-1), Gas Station Sushi (7-2), Poetic (4-1) and Moonshine Memories (6-1).
The Spinaway Stakes Saturday at Saratoga drew just five fillies with the two favorites expected to decide it – Pure Silver (1-1) and Separationofpowers (6-5).
The Woodward Stakes also drew just five, as Gun Runner (2-5) scared others way as he makes his push towards a Breeders’ Cup Classic showdown with Arrogate, Collected and any Kentucky Derby runners that want to challenge.
The Hopeful Stakes has 8 entered thus far, and last year’s winner Practical Joke went on to run in the 2017 Kentucky Derby, where he finished a respectable 5th at 27-1 odds.